Or: Why work 8 hours/day for someone else when you can work 16 hours/day for yourself?
Here's a relatively short but enlightened perspective on independent consulting by Steve Friedl, an IT consultant based in Tustin, California. It's got an IT bent, but is relevant to anyone in a consultative role - independent or corporate.
Here are some gems, referred to by Steve as "Consulting Maxims":
- "'Trust' is your best job security"
- "You are primarily in the customer service business, not the [insert your skills here] business"
- "Detail is comforting to a customer"
- "It's a huge asset to communicate well -- cultivate this skill vigorously"
- "If you're booked up solid, your rates are too low"
- "Being known for your integrity is the Holy Grail of consulting"